Frequently Asked Questions

Are places currently available? 
As a small independent school, we generally have limited vacancies available, especially in our Primary School. For the latest information on the availability of places, please contact the Enrolments team at or 07 32090333.

Will I be placed on a waiting list?  

We do maintain a waitlist for most of our year levels. Places are offered to those most likely to benefit from the College’s programs and, generally, students are accepted in order of application.  

At what year levels does the College accept students?  

Students may enter the College at any year level if there are places available, however, the main intake years at Kimberley College are Prep, Year 7 & Year 10.

When should I apply to enrol my child? 

As we offer places in order of date of application, applying as early as possible will give you the best opportunity for future placements. Please be aware that preference may be given to families currently or previously involved with the College. Students entering Prep must have turned four by June 30 in the year prior to entry and interviews are usually conducted 12 months prior to commencement year. For Year 7 enrolments we commence interviews 18 months prior to year of commencement.

Is Kimberley College a religious school?  

No, Kimberley College is non-denominational and is a private independent school. There are no religion-based classes provided by the College. We do however have a set of values that we expect students to comply with. 

Are the Primary and High School students in separate areas? 

The classrooms for primary and high school are located in separate areas of the campus. The primary school is clustered together at the front of the school, while the high school classrooms is located towards the back of the campus.  The high school and primary students have separate toilet blocks and the primary school has designated play areas within the school.

What are Boats and Catamarans?  

In most schools, the terms class, classroom, form or pastoral group are used.  At Kimberley College, we refer to a class and their classroom as a ‘Boat’. Two Boats are located in one building that share a dividing wall and these buildings are called a ‘Catamaran’. In our multi-aged Middle School set-up, a Year 7/8/9 Boat (class) come together to form a Catamaran. Within these Boats and Catamarans, students from Years 7-9 learn and interact together as one community.

What technology is required by students?    

The school provides students with access to necessary technology when tasks require laptops being accessed in all middle school boats. There is no BYOD program in the primary or middle school unless there is an specific identified learning need. Senior students (Years 10 -12) are required to BYOD to be used appropriately and in alignment with the school’s Safe Use of Technology policy. 

Because a mobile phone and smart watch is a communication device, camera and powerful computer, these are handed in each day to classroom teachers when students enter class in the morning and are returned at the end of each day. 

Do you have a special education unit specialising in small group or individual support for children requiring additional support to participate in mainstream education?

We have very limited resources and teaching support available and for this reason we limit the number of students in each class that may require additional support to ensure positive outcomes for all our enrolled students. 

Who do I see if my child is suffering from social anxiety or personal issues that are affecting their learning?  

Kimberley College has a part-time counsellor that is available for students.  A referral to see the counsellor must be booked through a Deputy Principal.

Do you offer out of hours school and holiday care?  

Unfortunately, the College does not currently offer before or after school care.  There is a child care centre next door  ( that does offer this service, but places are limited.

As an independent school, do we have the same accountability requirements as government schools? 
Independent schools are subject to a greater level of educational and financial accountability requirements than government schools. All Independent schools, regardless of teaching philosophy, faith affiliation, location or the socio-economic status of their students, have to be registered by state and territory authorities in order to operate. Without registration, schools cannot operate or be eligible for any government funding.

All non-government schools must comply with both Australian Government and state and territory government educational and financial accountability requirements. These requirements include implementation of the national curriculum; the provision of data on schools, staff and students for national reporting; and completion of an annual financial questionnaire, financial viability assessment and reporting against government grants. The College also complies with a range of other requirements and regulations covering occupational health and safety, privacy and child protection, human rights and equal opportunity, local government planning, and building and fire codes. Read the Annual Report.